City officials and business owners in Denver, Colorado are optimistically preparing for boosting tourism numbers in 2012. Throughout 2012, Denver will host several highly anticipated events including the opening of two new museums, popular international shows, major sporting events and exciting animal exhibits. These events and conventions scheduled in 2012 point to a busy and exciting tourism year in Denver.
Some of the most anticipated events and openings this year include the Clyfford Still Museum and the Toyota Elephant Passage at the Denver Zoo. These additions to the attractions in Denver are estimated to produce nearly a quarter billion dollars into Denver tourism. Richard Scharf, the president and CEO of Visit Denver explains, “When you add the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic sinking and its significance to the Molly Brown House, the NCAA Woman’s Final Four and the only North American showing of Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective, this is really going to be a big tourism year for Denver.”
Many are anticipating 2012 to be an opportunity for Denver to shine not only in the national but in the international spotlight as well. Some of the events that are expected to attract international attention include the final day of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge and the first presidential debate between the major party candidates. With famous attractions, great food and beautiful climate, Denver is a wonderful place to visit. Here are some of the upcoming events in Denver that you will not want to miss:
1. Clyfford Still Museum. Opened: November 2011
2. 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Titanic at the Molly Brown House Museum. Dates: February 15, 2012, additional events throughout the year.
3. Dale Chihuly Venetians at the Foothills Art Center. Dates: April 7 – June 30, 2012
4. Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective at the Denver Art Museum. Dates: March 25 – July 8, 2012
5. NCAA Woman’s Final Four Tournament at the Pepsi Center. Dates: April 1 – 3, 2012
6. History Colorado Center. Opening: April 28, 2012
7. Mile into the Wild walkway at the Wild Animal Sanctuary. Opening: Spring, 2012
8. Icelandair direct flights from Reykjavik. Opening: May 10, 2012
9. Toyota Elephant Passage at the Denver Zoo. Opening: June 1, 2012
10. USA Pro Cycling Challenge Denver. Date: Aug. 20 – Aug. 26, 2012
11. Presidential Debates: First Round at the University of Denver. Date: Oct. 3, 2012
12. Becoming Van Gogh at the Denver Art Museum. Opening: Oct. 21, 2012 – Jan. 20, 2013